The Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department responded to a reported garage fire on Oudaze Lake Rd. at approximately 3:20 am.
The homeowner was alerted to the fire after they heard the sound of explosions. When crews arrived, the 25 x 25 garage was fully involved. Crews battled -30 degree temperatures in order to douse the blaze. Damage is estimated at $50,000 and the cause and circumstances are currently under investigation.
Then at approx. 7am, crews responded to a chimney fire on South Waseosa Lake Rd. The fire was contained to the chimney and the appliance was taken out of service till repairs are made.
With the current cold temperatures we are experiencing in Muskoka, residents are advised to keep fire safety in mind while trying to stay warm:
· Ashes from a fireplace or woodstove must be put in a closed metal container away from a building and allowed to cooled down.
· Check your chimney – Keeping the chimney clean will help avoid problems during these extreme cold temperatures.
· Space heaters should be plugged directly into a properly rated electrical outlet. Avoid using an extension cord.
· Give space heaters space – Keep them at least 1 metre (3 feet) from anything that can burn.
· Ensure carbon monoxide alarms and smoke alarms are tested and working.